General Use Guidelines for Bureau of the Public Debt Intellectual Property
If you wish to use Bureau of the Public Debt trademarks, service marks or any logo associated therewith (“BPD Intellectual Property”) in connection with any of your organization’s goods or services, you must obtain prior written permission from the Bureau of the Public Debt (“BPD”). We will attempt to accommodate all reasonable requests that we receive from users; however, protection of our BPD Intellectual Property requires that we have to turn down any request that suggests BPD or the Treasury Department is endorsing a particular organization or product. Similarly, we will turn down all requests that attempt to use BPD Intellectual Property in an objectionable manner. The decision to grant permission to use BPD Intellectual Property shall be solely that of BPD.
BPD Intellectual Property can be used only pursuant to our Terms and Conditions and these General Use Guidelines.
BPD may provide you with written requirements as to:
- font or typeface
- other graphic characteristics of the BPD Intellectual Property.
Additional provisions are as follows:
- You must implement any requirements prior to using the BPD Intellectual Property
- You may not alter the look, font or typeface of any BPD Intellectual Property.
- You must ensure that the presentation of BPD Intellectual Property will be consistent with BPD’s use of BPD Intellectual Property in comparable media.
- BPD should be given credit for the being the sole owner of the BPD Intellectual Property.
- You must use all appropriate trademark and service mark notices (“SM”, “TM” or “®”) when you use BPD Intellectual Property.
- You must include the following statement in any of your material that includes BPD Intellectual Property: “___________ is a mark of the Bureau of the Public Debt.”
BPD will work in conjunction with you or your designated representative to ensure that the foregoing notices and/or statements are placed properly. BPD has the right to review and approve, in our sole discretion, the final product that includes BPD Intellectual Property prior to such product entering the public arena. BPD retains the right to require you to cease and desist the use of BPD Intellectual Property at any time.
By signing the Request for Permission (“Request”), you expressly agree that you will not do any of the following:
- Display any BPD Intellectual Property as the most prominent element on or in your chosen medium;
- Display BPD Intellectual Property in any manner that implies a relationship or affiliation with, sponsorship, or endorsement by BPD;
- Display BPD Intellectual Property on any website that contains or displays adult content, promotes gambling, involves the sale of tobacco or alcohol to persons under twenty-one years of age, or otherwise violates applicable law;
- Display BPD Intellectual Property in a manner that is in BPD’s sole opinion misleading, defamatory, infringing, libelous, disparaging, obscene or otherwise objectionable to BPD, the Treasury Department or other government agency;
- Display BPD Intellectual Property on a site that violates any law or regulation;
- Frame or mirror any BPD website page; or
- Remove, distort or alter any element of BPD Intellectual Property.
To request approval for use of BPD Intellectual Property, you need to complete the Request, and send it to us with the information specified therein. BPD will make a good faith attempt to respond within ten (10) business days of receiving the completed Request; however, we do not guarantee a response within ten (10) days, and you cannot use BPD Intellectual Property until we have expressly granted you prior written approval.
The approval to use BPD Intellectual Property is limited to the information provided in your Request. If your anticipated use changes, before or after BPD grants approval, you must update your Request accordingly. Please note that our authority to grant approval is limited to BPD Intellectual Property only. You should not assume that everything on the BPD website is owned by BPD. We cannot grant approval for the use of the proprietary materials of third parties.
Savings Bond Images. BPD cannot grant or deny permission to use the name and/or likeness of a notable figure featured on any of our savings bonds. Nothing contained herein shall be construed as a grant of permission to use the name and/or likeness of a notable figure featured on any of our savings bonds. In most instances, our use of such images is governed by a licensing agreement with the estate of the notable figure featured on the bond. Any requests for permission to use the name and/or likeness of a notable figure should be directed to the estate of such notable figure. BPD assumes no responsibility for providing contact information for any estate to you or your designated representative.